Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

Newbie alert

joshyip

Newbie alert

Post by joshyip on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi all...

i'm a newbie to the biking scene. just got my kips last week. love the bike! though still confined to my housing area Smile a few questions. i am a huge fan of big tires and would love to change to a 130 or something. any recommendations? any good shops around the pj/kl area? Wink n i won't have to change the rims right?

thanks a million.

asrolsani

Re: Newbie alert

Post by asrolsani on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:44 pm

welcome bro...
    for kips, standard size the best... bigger heavier, slower and more fuel

gammafiber

Post by gammafiber on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:42 pm

bigger looks nicer, superbike wannabe..

120.70 for rear, tried 130.70 only good for h/way, bad for cornering..

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 am

Smile yup.. that was exactly wat i had in mind. bigger for a more 'superbike' wannabe. was thinking of a 130/70. wat do u mean 'bad for connering' ? care to explain?

gammafiber

Post by gammafiber on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 am

from my experience, not a big deal untill you befrinded some friends that took you trips

to genting ect. Then I realize the angle of the tyres has deform, imposible to lean to the max.

But on daily basis its okay, looks good from the side and rear. Im changing my tyres soon,

you can swap mine to get the feel of it.

alldisc

Post by alldisc on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 pm

hi the reason why big tyres will make cornering poorer is easy to note.

imagine small bike with 1.60 inch width wheels. install 80/90 tyre, it will fit just nice.
    install 90/80 tyre will make it look bigger but the extra width will make the tyre 'rounds' more as the wheel width remains the same. to offset that, change to wider wheels, example 1.85".

similarly goes to kips. current rim width and tyre size is just nice, but should we fix bigger tyres, it will be rounder. the effect is less contact per each bike cornering angle.

not so good if you enjoy lying low at every corner... but shoudnt be a big problem if you are botak tengah type of rider... LOL

kr150c87

Post by kr150c87 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:26 pm

What youre saying indeed its true..less contact and grip when cornering thus this the offset and tyre size must be match,or else too big size,power to weight ratio is gone, juz take continental bikes ex: AP125,and cagiva mito ev.. u can see the diff.

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm

hmm.... i see wat you mean. what tires are u using gamma? will any other rims fit the kips? i read somewhere that the cagiva mito is wider and fits? any experience? Smile

gammafiber

Post by gammafiber on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:16 pm

Was using Michel PS 130.70, just now change bt 39f 90.80 front

and the stability has gone. Front wants to lean more but rear wants to go straights.

going to change my rear real soon probably 120.70. Take my words not worth it.

saw some guys change to bigger offset. You can read them in tyres threads.

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:12 pm

ohhhh... Smile thanks bro. i always thought it would be more stable. Razz now i know. so a 120/70 would probably be the widest it can take.

gammafiber

Post by gammafiber on Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 pm

it is stable in straights, same with 90.90 front or bigger. Smaller than std more suitable for

hard cornering eg: handle became lighter& can corner sharply.

centeng

Post by centeng on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 am

hi bro... greeting from kippers p.j... use 90/80 max for front..if u use 100/70 or 100/80 also can but the look will be funny (more look like a doughnut Very Happy )...the zx rim front size is 1.85.. it will fit nice with 90/ series... choose duro, maxxiss, etc etc..for me i use f.d.r mp series..seriously soft compound but really durable for a daily used ( i am only use my bike for going to work, riding, and bodo bodo cornerin Razz )

for rear 120/ series is the max u can use... but like all the sifu sifu said before..it will be useless... the wall will be very very rounded...especially if u use Michelin pilot series... really really round ( it will be not look your tyre bigger since the kips zx rim is only 2.5) for me...i use 120/70 (eventhough i know it useless Very Happy ) but i used Dunlop for super bike front tyre ..so the look is not very rounded at the wall...but still the side wall will be not use at all Very Happy... depends on you bro.... i also already seen the crazy friend of mine use 140/60 bt92.... at the end? look weird and sucks man Razz... the best if you want swap it i think will be 110/70... (on a new bie aka amature vision laa ) hahahaha

anyway enjoy ur bike...ride safe at road...ride crazy at track Very Happy... hehehehe aslm!

* oh yeah one more thing... the rounded and ouval shape of every tyre is different each other bro...for an ex: battlax bt92 vs bt090...same size 120/70..the bt090 will look more round on a shape (if my vision not blurry Very Happy kekekekek)...also different from each factory: michellin, bridgeston, dunlop, duro, irc, kapcai, blackstone, etc etc... hehehe....

centeng

Post by centeng on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:12 am

gammafiber wrote:
    it is stable in straights, same with 90.90 front or bigger. Smaller than std more suitable for

hard cornering eg: handle became lighter& can corner sharply.

agreed cheers ... salam kenal sifu Smile mhn bg tunjuk ajar untuk budak baru ni Very Happy...aslm

Matthew

Post by Matthew on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:13 am

But lookin at the rims u have now i dont seem to find it funny or oversized at all bro its cool actually..way way cool... Very Happy

gammafiber

Post by gammafiber on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 am

How much you bought your FDR? Just got mine BT39F for 250+ soft compounds.

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:34 pm

thanks for all the input. really learnt a lot! Smile

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:39 pm

so tires are out.. can't go much bigger than they already are. any other ways of making my bike look cooler or more superbike-like? heheh

centeng

Post by centeng on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Matthew wrote: But lookin at the rims u have now i dont seem to find it funny or oversized at all bro its cool actually..way way cool... Very Happy

hehehe,thanks bro matt... yeah i used 2.15 in front and 3.5 at rear... the rim is quite light..little bit lighter only from ZX rims Smile...

gammafiber wrote:
    How much you bought your FDR? Just got mine BT39F for 250+ soft compounds.

hi bro.... i bought it on Indonesia very very cheap..only about RM125 only... if not mistaken the MP-76 model race compond... berbaloi la bro... (still cannot afford for battlax one...bt39 is the best bro bias tyre from battlax that got small size 90 100..cool..other wise we can swap to bt090... Evil or Very Mad confirmed 'abis duit'

joshyip wrote:so tires are out.. can't go much bigger than they already are. any other ways of making my bike look cooler or more superbike-like? heheh

change the rim bro Very Happy... the best way that can afford..swap to aftermarket parts... but it will be as heavy as HELL.... for me..i swap it with honda NSR125 rims... need a lot of modification to put on kips... like the front disc rotor location... center and balance again on the kips so when u 'rembat' the bike will be not shaking at all... mine already tried speed up till 190 on this rim... RPM 10.5-11.5.... but the feeling of shaked on front rim is still there .... need to adjust a little bit more Smile... cornering more stable... but my rear tyre dunlop d208 is already slide a lot Sad... cyclops

joshyip

Post by joshyip on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 pm

change rims? sounds nice! but does it require heavy mods? aren't there plug and play rims for the bike? how much did your mod and rims cost bro?

Matthew

Post by Matthew on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

bro how much does the rims cost by the way??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:45 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:45 pm