Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

Getting Kips in BKK

zorgitron

Getting Kips in BKK

Post by zorgitron on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi everybody!

I am new and looking at getting a cheap Kips 150 in working condition. I found one for a good price and rode it around a little bit yesterday. I'm looking for a cheap bike, in working shape, that I can enjoy owning, but also not worry about too much. I see lots of these KRs running around. Some are loaded with farming stuff and look like they're barely running, and others are in really nice, sporty condition. I don't know if I'll use it daily, but I'd just like to keep it stock, clean it up a bit, and use it for running some errands and cruising around to relieve some stress. Traffic in BKK can be horrendous, and I know this is not the BEST bike for it, but certainly more stylish than a Wave.

This will be my first time having a 2T bike, but I have some experience with 4 strokers, especially with small Honda horizontal engines. I can overhaul one of those engines in 3 hours with hand tools. I've installed transmissions, pistons, crankshafts, oil pumps, etc. I would like to do work on my bike myself, but without any tools, and the low prices of shop labor here, I might not at first.

The condition of the KR seemed kind of rough, but maybe it's mostly just by looks. The plastic was scratched up and cracked, light rust, some of the fairing is missing, etc.

However, there were very few loose parts, not any serious rust, and the engine ran smoothly as far as I could tell. Riding it down the street, it was slow but okay in the lower revs, and got very exciting and quick up top. I guess this is how 2T is! Fun stuff!

Mileage: about 35,000 kilometers

Potential problems:
    -Gear shifter was loose, see the picture. It still worked and went through the gears. I don't know if the splines might be stripped
    -Mileage is high? I was reading that a piston change is necessary at 20k. I don't know if it has been done or not.
    -White smoke for first 30 seconds of startup. Is that normal? From what I read it is.
    -Turn signals do not work

Here are some pics:

[

What do you think? Will it work alright?

GhostRideR

Re: Getting Kips in BKK

Post by GhostRideR on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:07 am

it's got a lot work to do bro...

zorgitron

Post by zorgitron on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:17 am

... you mean a lot of work to make it look pretty? The bike is cheap; $300, which is the only budget I have haha.

zorgitron

Post by zorgitron on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Drew/traced this because I'm too excited. Not completely accurate, but based on a Kr I saw on the street. Enjoy.

pidd

Post by pidd on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:07 pm

The bike price RM300 ? Many thing you need to repair.Especially wiring many older bike have this problem but if you love to DIY you can save your budget. I think the bike reasonable with the price.

zorgitron

Post by zorgitron on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I passed up that dirty Bangkok bike and bought this one up in Chiang Mai. It was only a little more money than that black bike.

Can you tell me more about this model? Is it a "KR" or something else? I think there is a PDK-1 that has similar looking frame, but there is also a "Serpico"? The engine says "super kips" while the previous bike just said "kips".

Seems to run much better and I love the color combo.
    Still, low price = some problems:

-Plastic cracked or missing (who cares?)

-Very difficult to shift to neutral! Can this be caused by the clutch lever and cable tension? The clutch lever is somewhat nasty, and I hope to replace it completely with a nice smooth one. This problem is making the bike somewhat unenjoyable to ride.

-Speedometer and tachometer do not work at all! Is the tachometer important enough to fix?

-Turn signals and brake light does not work. Maybe it's just the bulbs.

-Rear brake is lightly squeezing the disc

I think most of these could be fixed with some simple adjustments, but I don't have any tools available to me here in Chiang Mai.

zorgitron

Post by zorgitron on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 am

I love love love riding this bike on the mountain roads. I'm in Chiangmai right now.

Although I'm thinking I should invest in some frame sliders, and before that, better tires.

Looking at the tires after the ride, I was amazed that I didn't slip. They are dried, cracked, hard, and the tread's nearly gone. I wonder how much tires cost in Thailand...

Fixed the speedo, clutch cable/lever, tach, and all the lights. Calculate the miles per gallon : 62mpg! Not bad. That's 192.9km on 7.2 liters IIRC.

New problems: Front left fork is leaking oil. Neutral difficulty is gone, but sometimes it comes back. The rear brake is grabbing a bit too.

Small thing: Does anyone have an old Kips that make a plasticy rattling sound when you're not on the throttle? It sounds like a plastic zip tie is tangling in the wheel or something, but I can't find anything that would do this. Maybe it's little rocks getting stuck in my tires and flinging into the fender?

Kind of my makes my bike sound like it's junk though.

jirou

Post by jirou on Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:12 pm

bro,sometimes,the difficulity to change to neutral gear is got nothing to do with clutch cable or clutch plate worn out nor the gear-change-assy..bcoz i had the exactly same prob last time n the weird thing is it only occur when the rpm is below 1.2..bottom line is,try to raise up your carburator timing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:45 pm