Kawasaki Kips Owners

FORUM FOR ALL GENERATION OF KAWASAKI KIPS

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

KRBKK

KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

Post by KRBKK on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm in Thailand and have an early model KR150. I want to increase the power. A mechanic says the newer models have more power. Before going ahead, I'd be interested to learn about the differences between old and new models. What is the difference in power?

Please answer in English, thank you.

alldisc

Re: KR150/KIPS/KRR150 old/new model engine differences

Post by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

hi there.

well, i am not very familiar with models available in thailand, compare to malaysia. so informations given maybe wrong.

for instance, malaysia have Kawasaki Serpico and Scorpion (both similar, actually) and same with Thailand but I dont know whether the first generation KRZ (also same with serpico) was sold in Thai or not.

basically, there were 2 type of kips. the first one was KIPS, with one expansion chamber while the second SuperKIPS was an improved version with 2 expansion chambers.

there are 3 models utilising superkips powervalve - serpico/scorpion, ZSR and latest known as ZX in malaysia. power output is around the same each (very small differences) even the latest one.

care to share pics of your bike. what year is your KR150?

i will continue this later. welcome to kippers online forum!! study

alldisc

Post by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm

first model kips.

Last edited by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

KRBKK

Post by KRBKK on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 pm

I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

The bike goes OK, but I'd be happy to increase power if possible. I could put a new engine, but this would make the registration invalid. So I'd like to update the present engine as much. A mechanic has given me a price for a new KIPS, however I want to be sure of options before going ahead.

Posting pics of my bike is not much help, I've since had it converted to a dirtbike! When it's completely finished with stickers I'll post in the gallery section.

nekman

Post by nekman on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

KRBKK wrote:I'm in Thailand and have an early model KR150. I want to increase the power. A mechanic says the newer models have more power. Before going ahead, I'd be interested to learn about the differences between old and new models. What is the difference in power?

Please answer in English, thank you.

Dear Sir, are you from thailand? Welcome to our forum
    I am still new using KIPS, so not much I can tell you from my own experience.

If you can read thailand, please refer to this webpage.

http://2strokeclub.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

It explain the difference between older (1779) vs new (1878) block of kips.

If you know thai language I hope you can translate for us alien

Looking at the picture, i would presume new model of kips has
    1) Bigger exhaust port
    2) Thicker piston ring
    3) Better built bearing.

Overall look like a better design to withstand high speed usage.
    Maybe that is why your mechanic say new model has more power..

Last edited by nekman on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

alldisc

Post by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 pm

2nd model KRZ

Last edited by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

alldisc

Post by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

KRBKK wrote:I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

The bike goes OK, but I'd be happy to increase power if possible. I could put a new engine, but this would make the registration invalid. So I'd like to update the present engine as much. A mechanic has given me a price for a new KIPS, however I want to be sure of options before going ahead.

Posting pics of my bike is not much help, I've since had it converted to a dirtbike! When it's completely finished with stickers I'll post in the gallery section.

aha! got it. the easist way my friend, is to convert your engine block from kips to superkips!!

i envy you since kawasaki parts are cheap in thailand. my suggestion is either to buy 1855 block or 1878. dont buy 1724 block. of course, you have to change the entire powervalve mechanism. where do you stay? bangkok or southern province?

alldisc

Post by alldisc on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm

this is last model ZX, on sale in malaysia and thailand.

KRBKK

Post by KRBKK on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm

alldisc wrote:
    KRBKK wrote:I'm not sure of the exact year, but the bike was first registered in 1992. I think the KIPS for this model is not as powerful as later models.

aha! got it. the easist way my friend, is to convert your engine block from kips to superkips!!

i envy you since kawasaki parts are cheap in thailand. my suggestion is either to buy 1855 block or 1878. dont buy 1724 block. of course, you have to change the entire powervalve mechanism. where do you stay? bangkok or southern province?

Thanks, yes Kawa parts are cheap here, especially secondhand. There are1,000s of KR's around, which is why I made one into a dirtbike, cheap and easy to fix or just change the motor.

Today I spoke to an old mechanic, who said I can basically update the old engine to the new one while retaining the engine number (which I need for reg).

I will probably wait until the old engine is a bit more worn out. I'm interested to know the power difference between models to help me decide.

BTW, the KR makes a great dirt bike, even with the old engine, still plenty of power and very light.

I'm in Bangkok.

KRBKK

Post by KRBKK on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I think my bike is even earlier than the first model released in Malaysia. Below is a pic, although it may be a little unclear

Is there a great power difference between the old and newer models? I probably won't touch the original engine for a while, unless there is a big difference in power.

I'd also be interested in the weight of the early models. Mine feels very light, I'm guessing it maybe due to a smaller frame.

Also, as I'm in Bangkok, so if there's anyway I can help other KIPPERS, pls let me know.

carlnain

Post by carlnain on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:58 pm

KRBKK wrote:Also, as I'm in Bangkok, so if there's anyway I can help other KIPPERS, pls let me know.

How much the price for PDK gold 1855 block n PDK full exhoust system ???

Can u c , wat i c bro ???? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by carlnain on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mai buat duit....click n register beb pree je...http://www.catcheye.com.my/?r=92194 carl9-0173380851/0178484768

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 pm

mine model is back at 1993, part of earlier model, the kr150a..
    yes, the frame is light. Power difference yes there is, later model power is much more greater.

KRBKK

Post by KRBKK on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. If the newer engine has more power I will look at getting one, but first I want to fix the back suspension and exhaust. Any idea how much extra KW/HP with the new engine?

Regarding prices, I have been told a second hand engine in excellent condition is B6,500, which is a little over US$200 (second hand KRs start from . I will see what I can find out, but pls be patient, I know a good honest mechanic, but he is very busy and I don't trust anyone else. I don't know about shipping to Malaysia, do you have to pay import tax?

What other modifications are popular with the KIPS? What about a larger carb? I have a 32mm Mikuni carb I was thinking of using.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:36 pm

KRBKK wrote:Thanks for the replies. If the newer engine has more power I will look at getting one, but first I want to fix the back suspension and exhaust. Any idea how much extra KW/HP with the new engine?

Regarding prices, I have been told a second hand engine in excellent condition is B6,500, which is a little over US$200 (second hand KRs start from . I will see what I can find out, but pls be patient, I know a good honest mechanic, but he is very busy and I don't trust anyone else. I don't know about shipping to Malaysia, do you have to pay import tax?

What other modifications are popular with the KIPS? What about a larger carb? I have a 32mm Mikuni carb I was thinking of using.

im not sure, but few words flying around telling me that if u fiddle with carbs (34mm) + pdk full system + PDK gold 1855 block + bigger radiator = can get easily 38-40hp @ 240km/h Razz

btw, regarding importing stuff, label it as sample/gift could easily get a cheaper import tax Very Happy

if u can, could u quote me the price for sport rims, 1855 gold pdk block, pdk full exhaust system, koso digital meter, racing footrest, and pdk airbox, thanx Smile

KRBKK

Post by KRBKK on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 am

I will help as much as I can, but additional info would be useful, especially pics. Do you want the stuff new? If so it's easier but more expensive. Were the PDK blocks made in Thailand? The same with other parts, if it wasn't made here then it will be as expansive as Malaysia.

Current date/time is Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 pm